ANU Canberra Stabbing Today, Two Student wounded Critically

ANU Canberra Stabbing Today, Two Student wounded Critically

ANU Canberra Stabbing 2Photo: The Daily Advertiser

After three persons were stabbed on Monday afternoon at the Australian National University in Canberra, one young woman is in a critical state and another is being treated in a hospital.

Following reports of the stabbing, ACT police and medical services were called to the campus at 2.45pm. At a university sports pitch, police made an arrest of a 24-year-old male and took him into custody.

Two 20-year-old female students were assaulted and sent to the hospital, where one was in serious condition and the other was in a stable condition. A 34-year-old guy was also injured, but only slightly.

Also see: TTC Station Stabbing Today, Man Seriously Injured Victoria Park scene

A 24-year-old man was in jail as of late Monday afternoon, according to an ACT Policing statement, but no charges had been filed against him. Police stated they were not looking for any additional suspects in connection with the crime and that they did not consider the man to be a student at the university.

The attacks appeared random, according to police sources at the scene who were not authorized to comment on the record. They claimed there were three distinct campus areas where the stabbings took place, with the final one being next to a football pitch.

Several witnesses who had a clear view of the events have been interviewed by police after they detained the man on the Fellows Oval football pitch. Police will provide more information on the incident on Tuesday morning.

On Monday afternoon, ANU Vice-Chancellor Brian Schmidt sent students an email informing them that “the situation is under control” and that someone had been taken into custody.

“Our thoughts are with the friends and families of the three injured individuals who were brought to the hospital. I ask that you continue to avoid Fellows Oval and Chifley Meadow because they are still active crime scenes, he said.

“I want to sincerely thank ACT Policing, ACT Ambulance Service, and our own ANU Security staff for their prompt and effective reaction.

“I recognise that this incident may have upset some people in our community, and I want to remind you that there is support available. It is crucial that we assist one another and maintain our communal ties during times like this.

According to the ACT Policing statement, no clear reason for the event has been established.

The message requested anyone with video from their cell device of the incident to come to the City Police Station right once and give it to the police

Also see: Paul Grapsas Dead Geelong While Walking Dog, Third Child on the Way

Source: The Sydney Morning Herald

Leave a comment